We have been very fortunate with the glorious weather recently. Blue skies and warm temperatures making the UK as hot as Turkey! Many of us are enjoying these hot summers days and making the most of the warm evenings and the chance to eat lots of ice cream with no judgement! However, when trying to train and keep fit in this heat it can make things very difficult. As the sun beams down, your core temperature rises, sending blood away from your working muscles and instead to the surface of your skin to help heat dissipate.
Here are our top tips to help you with your training in these warm conditions:
1. Try and avoid the hottest part of the day by getting your exercise in nice and early. Not only can you feel smug about getting your workout in before everyone else but you get to witness some incredible sun rises. What a way to start a day.
2. Ensure you drink plenty of fluids. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty for fluids. Ensure you’re drinking little and often as when as when you are hot you will naturally sweat more resulting in the ability to become dehydrated.
3. Don’t forget the suncream! No one wants to be seen with those dodgy tan lines – ensure you reapply suncream often.
4. Wear light and breathable clothing. Wear lightweight, well-ventilated clothing made from synthetic fabrics like nylon. If you are directly in the sun, light colours can help reflect the heat too.
5. Know your limits. This hot weather is no time to push yourself for PBs. Take it slow and listen to your body. Ensure you leave time between workouts to refuel, otherwise you may end up injured and consequently unable to train.
It’s looking like this glorious weather will be here for a little bit longer. Ensure you make the most of it but ensure you follow our top tips to help you stay fit in the sun!
World’s Largest Duathlon
London Duathlon will be here before you know it, ensure you secure your spot on the start line, 4 September in the glorious Richmond Park.